Choosing your travel gear is an important step before setting out on any adventure. As obvious as it sounds, many people an unequipped to travel efficiently. Here are a few tips on choosing the right travel gear for you.
Your travel gear should be both lightweight and durable. You will have numerous kinds to choose from, depending on your travel variables. For example, for how long will you be traveling, and will you be able to do laundry? Are you sturdy enough to carry everything in a backpack, or do you need a rolling suitcase? Before choosing among your existing gear, or shopping for something new, make a list of these variables, as well as the things you are planning to pack.
Variables to consider:
- Where are you traveling? Investigate weight and size restrictions, as some international regulations call for smaller carry-on bags.
- How long will you be gone and will you be able to do laundry?
- What will the weather be like?
- What are your finances like?
- Can you carry everything on your back?
- If you need to drag a rolling suitcase, how far will you be walking? Consider this if you aren’t planning on taking any taxis, or if you are doing a lot of train travel.
- Do you need your laptop?
- Do you like to buy nice souvenirs? Will anything valuable be protected if someone drops or throws your suitcase?
Keeping all those things in mind, here are some of my favorite options. (Prices may vary.)
Rick Steves’ travel backpacks
EAGLE CREEK FLATBED DUFFLE
TOM BIHN AERONAUT